The Origin and Naming of Branford's Street
The Origin and Naming of Branford’s Street
English colonists settled Branford, Connecticut in 1644 expanding upon Native American pathways for their roads. The new settlers built their homes along Main and Montowese Streets which still form the nucleus of Branford’s town center today. Gradually, the early settlers expanded their road system going north to North Branford, east to the Guilford border and west through Canoe Brook and Branford Hills.
With extensive research using maps, town meeting records, city directories, and land records the author examines the origin and history of Branford’s roads and the relevance of the street names. The scope of Branford’s history as an 18th century farming community, during the industrial revolution bringing an influx of European immigrants in the 19th and 20th centuries, and finally as a suburban community after World War II can be viewed through the development of its streets.
The book includes an alphabetical listing of Branford’s streets, 100 vintage photographs, maps, detailed resources, appendix and endnotes.Softbound book, 238 pages, illustrated